Dual Language Immersion Program
Welcome to Worthington Elementary School's Dual Language Immersion Program information page. Here you will find information on what is Dual Immersion, the program offered at our school, and important contact information needed to enroll. We look forward to hearing from you and supporting your child's journey to becoming bilingual!
What is Dual Immersion?
Proficiency in more than one language is a valuable skill to be cultivated and nurtured in our schools and communities. Bilingual education is an umbrella term for many types of programs in which two languages are used for instruction.
- Dual Language education is an effective approach to developing language proficiency and literacy in English and a partner language. Two-Way Immersion, one type of dual language education, integrates native English speakers and native speakers of another language for academic content instruction through both English and the partner language beginning in elementary schools.
- Bilingual and Dual Language programs promote bilingualism and bi-literacy, grade-level academic achievement and cross-cultural competence in all students. Students maintain their native language while adding another language, and they develop pride in their own culture while developing an understanding of others.
What are some of the benefits of participating in a Dual Immersion program?
- Native English speakers often meet or exceed the performance of their peers participating in a monolingual program, with the added benefit of being bilingual.
- Students participating in dual language programs develop multicultural competencies along with social skills.
- Dual language programs are the most effective tool in closing the achievement gap.
- Test results show that most dual language schools outperform their other demographically similar schools, districts, and the State on performance metrics.
- There are additional cognitive benefits, including delayed onset of Alzheimer’s for bilingual children. Their brains are flexible and require increased levels of concentration not typical of a monolingual brain.
What are the goals of the Dual Immersion Program?
- High Academic Achievement in two languages
- Bilingualism & Bi-literacy
- Cross-Cultural & Pro-Social Skills